Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Unblogged in the Grampians

Blogging is an odd thing to do.

Some people get it, and some have no idea what you are talking about and why you would do that writing on the web thing.

Besides this, there are lots of things to discuss with blogging. There are emails from PR people who want you to do stuff, send you things and invite you places. Some people want to give you money to ensure they are seen on your blog by your readers - what are the best ways to manage this, what about media kits...

There are tools like facebook pages for business and google plus accounts, there are widgets from wordpress and SEO skills to learn.

There is Pinterest and discussing if it is really important or just a whole lot of fun.

Then there is blog reading and getting to know so much about the blogger and their life and thinking 'wouldn't it be nice to meet them one day'.

On top of this is most bloggers sit at home, without a team of work mates to sneak off and have a coffee with. They tweet but conversations are stilted in 140 characters.

All this has lead me to put my hand up to organise a catch up for bloggers, or blog readers, you are all welcome to come along, this is not an invitation event, so don't wait for a personal invite to come your way, if you want to come along then we would love to see you.

The difference in this event is that it is totally not sponsored. There will be no swag bag, no special deals. There will also be no presentations to attend or places to be at a certain time.

Instead there will be a group of people keen to discuss social media with you, because many bloggers just love social media and hardly ever get to talk about it, and talk about it and talk about it. The weekend will be about networking with other people who share your passion for social media.

You will not be obligated to write, instagram, pin, facebook or google anything.

I will be including a list of things that you might like to consider doing to entertain yourself, but that will be up to you.

If you are keen to hear more, just jump over to Google + and join the community Unblogged in the Grampians. If you can't get into it, just add me to your circles and ask me to invite you in.

Here is the Link - Unblogged in the Grampians


If you just want to book your spot and get there here are the basic details for you.


Unblogged in the Grampians
Friday 1 March - Sunday 3 March (I won't be there til late Friday)
Halls Gap Lakeside Tourist Park - phone 5356 4281 (Website: http://www.hallsgaplakeside.com/)
Come on your own, come with a friend or come with your family, just come with a great big smile!



Today's Disclaimer - there may be just me there. I can't promise you how many people will be there or who, but I have booked my cabin and I will be there and sitting in the camp kitchen on Saturday night with a bottle of wine and a fire hoping that someone will join me.
I am not receiving any incentives of any kind for organising this event, I am just doing it.


EDIT: Friday 24 January
I am having too many issues with the Google + community - mainly that when I set it up I locked it and now it can't be unlocked and 2) You can't use the community feature on your phone so I can't invite people in unless I am sitting at the computer. So....

Here is the link to the Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/415941221822773/

All the information will be the same at both Google +  Facebook so you don't need to be in both if you don't want to, pick which ever you prefer and I will just fangle my way through this.

Edited again:
Saturday 2 February

Thanks to the talent of Liz Griffith I have a little blog button/icon thingo for the weekend. It just makes it easier to look for. And because she is so cool, she made them in different sizes.

What does this mean for you:
1) I have added them to the Google + page to make it easier to notice.

2) I have added it to the top of my blog so that you can click on it to come here for any updated information

3) If you wanted to right click and copy it to your own blog to say you are coming along, then you can. I know it would have been handy for some html whiz bang stuff but image insertion is pretty easy - yes?











Any questions? 

31 comments:

  1. I am just about to book a spot for our camper trailer - so you will not be alone. I'm bringing the entire family and we'll make a weekend of it. Sounds awesome Claire :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Caz, I am thinking we could even all just bring stuff to BBQ together etc for dinner too, but some may want to head out for a more refined evening meal.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to do my best to swing it with the fam Claire but timing isn't fab for us so I'm not sure yet. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat, there is never a great time for everyone, see how you go, would be lovely to see you if the timing works out.

      Delete
  3. I really really want to come to this, but I don't know that the timing is going to work for me. :( But I do look forward to seeing how you go and perhaps with much success joining in future catch ups. Love me a good campout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, it is always hard with so many things on the go to fit in a weekend away. See how you go.

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting, I may be a contender, seeing as its practically in my back yard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see you there, certainly not a big trip for you!

      Delete
  5. Really hope the planets align and I can be there... even if I have to sleep in the back of the Tarago! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful, I wish I drove :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, not sure where you are located but there could be others driving that you could get a lift with.

      Delete
  7. It sounds wonderful. I really only hang out around the edges of the blogging/social media world. I don't tweet, my instagram account is private, I have no FB page for my (sorely neglected blog, which is also a babyloss blog, so less "exciting" for people to read) but I do love social media and talking about it, and that's something I don't get to do much of, as not many of my real life friends are in to it like I am, so I always feel like a wee bit of a freak! March isn't a great month for us either, but certainly something to consider, especially if our very good mutual friend Suz is going!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes! Yes she is coming along - already booked. So I really think you guys need to come along too!

      Delete
  8. I think on FB I said I want to come and I've just sent the link to the hubs. I feel like a Melbourne blogger and always want to go to the things you guys will be at because I feel that I belong, so I have everything crossed. I really think this is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Becky, you could be the jet setter from Interstate - that is as cool as International Guests! (Nearly..)

      Delete
    2. I felt a bit spesh until you added the nearly ;)

      Delete
    3. I think being the fly in Interstater is pretty spesh already! Really hope you can make it.

      Delete
  9. I want to come... Just have to see if I've got enough credits with the husb to warrant a weekend sans kids! Am hoping so, it sounds like the perfect getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that, or like some of us, pack up the kids and hubbie and bring them with you. Mr H is planning on taking the kids on some walks and bike rides which should tire them out pretty well.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. I can't make it, although I won't be too far away as it happens (that weekend is the end of our family holiday on the coast!) I think it is a brilliant idea though and I hope you all have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very envious, it sounds a load of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claire What a simply brilliant idea! Love the getaway approach and sipping wine under the gum trees chatting about blogging face to face. Thinking I may just book a cabin sans bub and hub - that way I may not have to share my wine...although there will be lots of bloggers around...(how do I join the closed link on Google + I tried to click on from your post above?) Pip xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pip, My hopes of G+ being the answer are gone. I have invited you to the group but I have also set up a fb group - which I am fumbling my way around too.

      It will be great to see you there.

      Delete
  13. Very jealous! sounds like you will have a ball - times like this i wish queensland was right between syd and melb

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic Idea, im new to the world of blog and social media! I would love to go though! and what a perfect excuse to get away. Ill have to see what the calendar says!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous idea. I will be making some life changes around that time (think: seachange!) and don't know if I can come. But I LOVE the idea. And would really love to meet you (and so many other bloggers) IRL.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!