|This is the only way Popps slept for a bloody long time.|
If you are walking the floor all night, pushing the pram around the streets in the wee hours of the morning? Eating frozen lasagna again tonight? It’s ok. It won’t last.
- The CD of the washing machine and vacuum noises will not work.
- The $500 highchair that swings and sings – it wont work either (let me know if you want to buy mine though – going cheap!)
- Playing the one song on repeat for 4 hours – it can work and if you get even one hours sleep you will be happy
- If you have not given in to the dummy – get on it! Babies like to suck, that is how they self soothe, do not fight it, if you do you only have yourself to blame for no sleep, not the baby.
- Feeding to sleep is a good thing. If possible, lie down yourself (think Miranda) close your eyes and nap.
- Do not listen to other Mums who have babies that sleep, they can’t help you because they don’t know how tired you are and that you have already tried everything they do. They are just lucky, they don’t have secret powers and you are not doing anything wrong.
- Do not read the books. The Contented Little Baby will make you The Crazy Little Mummy.
- Co-sleeping works, especially with toddlers, don’t fight this one either, and don’t stress, you will not find your teenage son still co-sleeping with you in ten years, no matter what the old folk say about rods and backs.
- It is highly unlikely that the Bumbo will assist you. (Also going cheap)
- Baby sitters do not really like the scream all night baby, they will ALL call you to come home, even the grandparents, so planning nights out is not recommended. Try a daytime sitter and get an afternoon nap instead, be quick, some last less than an hour.
- Again, if you find something that works for you, like feeding, dummies, co-sleeping, singing, patting, rocking in prams, babywearing (my fav for Immy) than go with it. Do not listen to the rods and backs rubbish.
- Babies will need assistance to get to sleep, some just need lots more than others.
- We broke every rule in the good parenting books and guess what – all is still ok!
If you have any other real tips, add them to the comments section.