Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Does the right wardrobe get you in the right mental place?



I am back from my twice weekly attempt to keep some level of basic fitness. I have been doing this forever and the mental challenge to get myself moving remains my biggest hurdle. It's the boredom. I listen to music, I try and listen to the radio, there are TV screens with subtitles on them so I try and make out what they are saying.

Mostly I look around at other people. I am still bored.

Today I realised something.

I am not wearing the appropriate gym gear.

My 3/4 trackie pants from 3 years ago and a gym top I picked up at kmart for about $6 last year are holding me back, and worse, when I looked in the mirror it was rather noticeable, I need a new sports bra.

I don't look like a runner. I actually look like a hobo. Red faced, shuffling along, unco-ordinated wobbles going this way and that.

Running gear
Could this be what I need?


A few of my friends got the fitness bug last year, they all started as non runners and they have blitzed the goal of 5 km and all moved on to achieve the 10km mark, most are now striving for the 14.4km race. When I look at all their photos they are all wearing the right gear, running leggings, watches that tell you your heart rate and most of all SPORTS BRAS. Never underestimate the value of a decent boob tube.

When I get dressed in my business suits I go into work mode, when I get into pjs I get straight in to sleep mode, so will it be the same that if I get dressed into black running lycra with special powers to repel demons and keep me sweat free that I will get into running mode?


11 comments:

  1. Funnily enough I have just been thinking about this, but my clothing for everything. All my clothes are old and have seen better days (or no longer fit). I have just asked on my blogs facebook page where ladies buy their clothes from these days, and whether cheap is better or do they go for quality? I am totally looking for inspiration! I think yes, clothing can seriously alter your mindset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I culled so much from my wardrobe that I ended up with having only a few items left. I threw out anything older than five years, anything that I wore when pregnant, anything with a mark, a hole a button missing. It was hard to do, but really really worth it.

      Delete
  2. Yes. Well, it works for me. As long as I put on my running gear, I will go for a run. The trick is to put the gear on... I can find ways to even get out of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I am thinking that fancy and new might be easier to get on then old and ratty? Worth a try anyway.

      Delete
    2. Definitely! Counting myself as one of your previously non-running friends, I whole-heartedly agree. Once I moved on from my k mart gym gear and into some fancy branded stuff from Rebel Sport, not only did I actually feel better wearing the stuff, but I was more inclined to get out and exercise if nothing more than to just get my money's worth! The expensive stuff also holds you in in all the right places instead of highlighting your flaws...

      Delete
  3. This post made me laugh - This was me last November. I had every excuse as to why I couldn't run. Bored, couldn't find the time to run, running was going to make me sick, perferred to buy a new pair of jeans than running gear, leggings are not my thing! Purchased the right gear... Amazing results, I can now run. Highly recommend you buy yourself some gear:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trialling a gym membership for the past three weeks, prior to that I'd never been to a gym in my life. I'm with you, it's boring. I plug in my earphones and listen to the music or watch TV as I walk the treadmill or torture myself on the crosstrainer - mostly for the distraction. But I would much prefer to be outdoors walking the neighbourhood streets, hills and all! I don't think fancy gym gear would change that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah - I have actually kitted up for the gym on several occasions and then made lame excuses not to go in. I have however perfected the art of dressing for housewifery.
    http://mum-abulous.com/2012/07/10/wifely-fashion-must-haves/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ALWAYS put my shoes on before I start my housework, otherwise I end up back in bed or kicking my feet up on the couch with a coffee and my laptop, my shoes motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think music is very important - you need to put together an exercise playlist, which will quite possibly be different to anything you'd listen to normally. Start with Eye of the Tiger. Just joking. I find Cannonball by The Breeders and Tears Dry on Their Own by Amy Winehouse great exercise songs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do need to do this, I have hardly any music, I might get moving on this!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!