Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The App I Like.

No shopping list or piece of paper is safe in our house these days. As Popps learns to write a new letter each week in the class room she is also changing her writing style and playing with the way her letters look. It is important to her to get the letters correct and to look like the teacher wants them to look and she practices on anything that doesn't move. And sometimes on things that do (it was only chalk, dogs don't mind having their names written on them).

I stumbled across the rED Writing App and it has saved a handful of work documents from being drawn on. Not many, but it's a start.





Popps loves this app and it could be one of my most favourite ones ever for purpose and entertainment. I also showed it to her Prep teacher who was mighty impressed, in fact she is getting ipads for their class room and wanted to know if this app could be used on iPads too - which it is, but only the phone version not a special ipad version.

Popps is also constantly asking us to write out notes, words and stories for her and it has helped that we know how she is meant to learn the letters, Mr H can barely read his own writing so I am going to suggest he starts playing red writing too. I tend to do my r in an old fashioned way so I am trying to write it 'correctly' for her.


Immy so far is interested in only the letter I and the number 3, because they are hers, and no one else anywhere is allowed to have them.

This is not a review, just sharing an app that I think is actually worth downloading.

From the app site is this: Teach children ages 3 - 7 how to write the letters and numbers of the alphabet the same way they are taught at school. Co-designed by an Australian teacher for children aged 3-7 years old, rED Writing contains 8 x education approved handwriting fonts used throughout Australian schools (QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC, TAS, SA, WA and NT) to trace and learn.


Have you got any favourite apps? Share them here so I can update my gadgets.

If you are playing along, how are you going with your #6Letters?

11 comments:

  1. THank you thank you thank you!!

    So perfect for my 4 year old going to school next year. off to download right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what she thinks, Popps certainly enjoys getting the certificates too, but is that little bit older so she loves the reward for action!

      Delete
    2. School Fonts for iPhone also does words that you can enter and also much more, all in the correct Australian school fonts. The app also emails you the completed tracings and audio recordings by the student. Well worth a look.
      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/school-fonts-learn-to-write/id498417441?ls=1&mt=8

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! Ellie's the same, obsessed with writing and we've tried some apps, which haven't been so great in the end. I've already started this downloading for her.

    I love discovering new apps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Becky, you will be able to check out the NSW version and let me know. Though as you are yet to go in to school you could probably play with all the states!

      Delete
  3. Looks perfect my Miss C, she's struggling with some letter recognition, and I think this might be perfect for her!!! Thanks a bunch!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, the music is pretty funky and fun too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great app! We have also recently downloaded Bingo Bugs, which is a maths based one and Poss is loving that. She gets to practice her adding and subtracting in a bingo game style - she loves it and it has actually helped her with her recall of basic sums.

    Love that these educational tools are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee, I have that app! If you try the top level it is actually a good brain task for yourself. Trying to beat yourself is tough!

      Delete
  5. I will look it up for my iPad my boys love writing apps and the chalkboard one.
    I love the iMum for discovering new apps and books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boring I know... but I'm loving words with friends right now...

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!