Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

So you think you can't dance

It has come to my attention that I have some new followers, Hello, Hello to all two of you.

You may also not have read my post a few months ago about the dancing issues we were dealing with, in short, Popps was suffering horrible anxiety at the idea that people may, of all the possible things, 'look' at at her. Can you imagine? How dare they!

We had a few weeks of dancing turmoil of wondering whether to force her to stick out the year and together with the teacher we decided she would have to, on the condition that she never had to do the concert or dance in front of people at the end of each term.

Six months later.

With the concert now approaching the teacher suggested that the parents enter the room and get a glimpse of how the routine was coming together. No, said Popps, I don't want them in here. I don't want them to watch me. The teacher pretty much said, too bad, it's not negotiable.

I sat at the front watching her chew off any fingernails she had left and bite her hands. She kept her eyes on the ceiling and the teacher at all times. When the music started she went through and completed the routine. She didn't look all that happy, but she wasn't screaming and running out the door. This was progress.

At the end, she ran over to me, whispering, I did it, I did it, I did it.

 "Yes,  you did, and how did it feel?"  I asked.

It was ok, she says, because I made up a strategy. If you don't look at the people, you can't see where they're looking, so then they can't be looking at you.

She is a thinker our Popps and strategy is one of her favourite words.

Last night we had the first dress rehearsal.

Could barely drag the girl from the stage.




  Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. That's so cute, good on you both for persisting, It is great when they do things they are really proud of and also a great thing to remind her of next time she is afraid to try something. And i love the word strategy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! What an achievement! This is an area of parenting that I really struggle with, of how much to push my children? If you push too hard you might ruin it for them, but if you never push them will they be able to break through on their own? It sounds like you found a middle path that was the perfect solution in this case!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like she taking after her mum and her Jazz ballet days!!

    go girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always special when their break throughs are positive. Good for you too it can be a very scary situation to push them out of their comfort zone. Have enjoyed looking around your blog. Thanks for having me. Now that makes 3 New Followers. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little boy loves words like strategy as well. Very cute.

    It sounds like you struck a good balance of encouraging her to step outside her comfort zone. The last thing you want is to be one of 'those' pushy parents but at the same time you need to encourage them. My 4 year old is similar with swimming and it's been a bit tricky getting the balance right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, I love that she had a strategy! So cute! And good on both of you for continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How quickly things can change. Good on you Pops and good thinking :)

    Miss now 6 was the same last year and actually suffered stage fright at the dress rehearsal. She did manage to get on stage though and loved every minuite (broken arm and all).

    Fast forward 12 months and she is in two dances this year, front and centre and absolutely loving it! I can't wipe the smile off her face. :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting brings amazing luck, you must try it and see how you go!